Public space operative
£9 – £11/hour
WEEKENDS Saturday and Sunday 0700am til 2100pm
E6, East Ham South, Greater London
To undertake either individually or as a member of a team a variety of duties concerned within Environmental Operations including work in public parks, playing fields, landscaped areas, public open spaces, public roads, garage forecourts, car parks and housing estates. This is in order to achieve a clean, safe and secure environment for residents and the general public.
To keep and maintain clean the external estate areas of Newham Council properties and public roads at all times.
To assist the environmental services team with the removal of fly tipping borough wide.
The post holder will be required to undertake the majority of the following works:
1. To undertake the cleaning of the internal areas of the estate blocks
including the use of appropriate cleaning materials, as follows:
* Sweep, mop, clean and disinfect : stairs, handrails, lobbies, landings etc
* Sweep, mop, clean and disinfect : internal/external chute rooms and clear hopper head
* Sweep, mop, clean and disinfect : lift carts, clear debris from tracks, walls, doors etc
* Wipe, wash and clean: glass panels, window sills, window ledges
* Sweep and disinfect bin compound rooms
* Rotate bins – pulling out / returning, as required
* Remove minor graffiti
* Remove and report sharps when found
* Report any instances of heavy graffiti to the Public Space Supervisor
* Report any instances of ASB to the Public Space Supervisor
* Report lifts out of order
* Check communal and emergency lighting and take action where necessary, including changing light bulbs when required
No formal qualifications required.
Must be physically able to carry out the duties as described, including moving large and moving bulky items, and to carry out work in areas not easily accessible.
Experience of street cleansing, Street Cleansing, Estate Cleansing or similar
Experience of working contact with the general public or with residents.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Trained to BICSc standard or able to achieve such a standard with training.
Ability to remain courteous and diplomatic in difficult situations.
Ability to be reliable and to respond to emergencies.
Level of numerical, literacy and verbal skills sufficient to enable postholder to undertake duties of the post
Ability to organise own workload, and work independently or with others as required
Ability to be flexible in responding to whatever situation occurs.
Must have an understanding of beat maps